Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Proud Father


I remember not understanding how my parents could sit and watch a football game on TV hoping to see my brother on the sideline, or how they would drive to watch my sister working as an athletic trainer at a baseball game. I couldn't believe that they would drive 2 hours to see me play every chance they had in college (sometimes even farther). Then yesterday my daughter reached her hand out to let me kiss it. She smiled when I did, and Jessica and I could almost see her thinking, " I did that." Later she started hitting her little sheep that hangs above her playmat.


I can't say I've ever felt more pride than I did in that moment. Short of marrying my wife, I've never felt more joy. Everyday she is learning, and I can't help but tell everyone I know what milestone she has reached now. I realize that being a parent means not only wanting to be there for the big, life-changing moments- but being willing to drive to the ends of the earth just to see your child's smile.


No comments:

Post a Comment